Monday

Coloring With Copics: Sepia Tones!

Hello everyone!  I'm Ally... your hostess for today's Inspire Me Monday tutorial!  Today I'm going to share with you a quick an easy way to colour your images.

Not everything you colour has to actually use colour!  Why not try a black and white image or try a Sepia toned image.  Let's find out how to colour your stamped images using simple Sepia tones...

Start off by stamping your image using some Memento ink (the ink I always use with my Copic marker projects) onto some smooth cardstock.  I chose a light cream coloured cardstock for my super cute "Play Ball!" stamped image.

I began by colouring almost all of my image in using Copic E50 - "Egg Shell".  I left the highlights of my objects uncoloured.

Next I took Copic E51 - "Milky White" and added even more colour to my image, once again leaving the highlights of the pieces of equipment uncoloured.

Next I applied some Copic E53 - "Raw Silk" to my image.  I paid extra attention to the shadows on the base, below the bats and the glove this time.

Taking the next deepest Sepia tone, Copic E55 - "Light Camel", I added even more colour to the shadows of the mitt, ball, base and bats.

I grabbed Copic E57 - "Light Walnut" and applied even more rich colour to my shaded areas.  I added it below the ball, below the mitt and in the shadows of the bats, darken my shadows once again.

And to further deepen the shadows of the each piece of equipment, I applied Copic E59 - "Walnut".

I carefully went back over my stamped image and deepened the shadows of my bats and the fingers on my mitt using the E53 and E55 again.  I wanted to make my highlights smaller and this also allowed me to blend my deep dark areas back into the lighter areas as well to get a smoother transition of light.

I fussy cut out my image and applied a light coat of E53 to all of the stark "white" edges of my paper.

Here's my final card creation.  I chose to use some fun Sepia toned patterned papers with a fun splash of red plaid!

And don't forget about the inside....
I hope you too will take a turn at colouring your next stamped image using Sepia tones!

Happy stamping and colouring!

Allison Cope ~

7 comments:

dpkennedy said...

Love this! Your coloring rocks!

Jeanette said...

Love the card. Thanks for giving us such an easy to follow step by step guide to colouring it.

Liz Williams said...

Ally, Your tutorial is fabulous! I always love new tips.

Julie Koerber said...

Fabulous tutorial Ally -- you are always so creative and see things in such different lights! Thanks for sharing this amazing tutorial. You are so very talented!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you for this tutorial, Allison. I just ordered a couple of sets of Copics, I've never used them before but I think I want to give them a try. I always color my images with Water Colors or Prismacolor pencils using the Baby Oil technique, but Copics have always attracted me, they seem easy to use but, on the other hand, I think you need to learn to use them correctly to get the best results. So, thank you again for this tutorial, I know I will need all the help I can get.

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Wonderful tutorial Ally! And love the sepia coloring!!

Marcella Hawley said...

Ally, I've never even touched a Copic marker, but you make it all seem so easy and so professional, that I might have to go beyond my watercolor comfort zone and into the world of Copics!! Thank you so very much for sharing your SIMPLY STELLAR TALENTS with us! xoxo!!