Tuesday

An Earthy Color Cue.... for YOU!

Hello all! With the new year, as promised, we have some new faces here on the Power Poppy Blog to welcome in a whole new batch of color combos for you to try. Today's trio has an earthy vibe that is just rich, warm and, dare I say, elegant. Check it out peeps -- this week's.....


This little photo above was snapped after Marcy picked some hellebores from her mom's winter garden. She then dried these beauties as a way to honor her dear mom and remind her of the beauty not only in these flowers but in the thought that her mom is there with her, all around her. What a loving thought and a beautiful image. ðŸ’—

HOW TO PLAY ALONG WITH US: To play along with us is simple -- use these three colors -- reddish plum, sage and greige -- as inspiration for your card or creation and then, when you're done, link up your creation using our linky below! Easy peasy!

And now we get to our big reveal of our first guest in 2018! Let's read a little bit about her and be sure to say "hello" to...

"Hello! My name is Camille. I'm an Arizona transplant from Michigan. I've been playing with paper for 13 years - but since retiring three years ago, you can nearly always find me in my craft room. Guest Designing for Power Poppy can now be checked off my Bucket List!

CAMILLE'S CARD


Today’s Hues to Use are a favorite color combination. I always wanted a cream house with green and burgundy shutters, but my HOA has something to say about that. So second best is to be able to use these hues on a card. I chose the Wish You Luck set in particular, because the shamrock bouquet includes flowers, letting me add color into the green bouquet. I own just about every coloring media out there, but after years of classes and practice, I’ve lost my patience and GIMP (a free photo-editing program) has become my coloring medium of choice. GIMP also allows me to use digital paper patterns in my coloring – the ribbon on the bouquet is actually a textured paper pattern. You can also see, I was able to change the color of the sentiment from black to burgundy to better match my card. I used my electronic cutter to cut the lattice pattern in the background. To give the card dimension, I layered two shamrock bouquets, crumpling the top layer.



Thank you, Julie and Power Poppy, for inspiring us all with your images, Hues to Use, and blog extraordinaire. 

Thank you, Camille! Your creation is absolutely divine! And what perfect timing! Now we can all sock this idea away for not only St. Patty's Day creations but maybe a card for a job change, retirement, or any new event in a people's lives where they need to know you are thinking about them and cheering them on! Love it! 

Okay folks! Now it's your turn to take these colors, shake them up and use them in new and creative ways. After you're done, don't forget to link up your creation below and let us all see your take on this color combo challenge! And remember.... if you would like to be a guest hostess and share the weekly Hues, all you need to do is play along with us. We grab all of our guests right from the weekly link lists! So get those fingers inky and let’s see how you put these Hues to good use! Until next week!

~Julie



9 comments:

Berina RGA said...

Beautiful colors! And wow! Such a beautiful card, Camille! I love the textured pattern paper you've used for the ribbon.

FD91354 said...

What a pretty card! I love the image has the shamrock and some flowers to give more coloring variations. Your coloring is great, and I like how you used the GIMP to help; I'm still learning its in's and outs. What a neat idea crumpling the top layer. Fabulous designing!

Grandma Bonnie said...

I love your card, Camille! You are so talented!!

Anonymous said...

absolutely fab, love your ideas. could you tell me what electronic image or cartridge you used. love the background, and the whole card.Mari

Camille Short said...

I used Lattice 17 from Monica's Creative Room - free at http://monicascreativeroom.se/category/cutting-files/lattice-patterns/page/2/

Esther Asbury said...

I absolutely adore this gorgeous card and the way you used the Hues this week! So very, very beautiful!

Marcella Hawley said...

Camille, your card is absolutely JAW-DROPPING!! I cannot get enough of those fluttering shamrocks. They work so beautifully with the perfectly coordinated shamrock lattice background. I am seriously impressed by the whole thing. WOW. Thank you so much for sharing your work today!!

Lagene said...

Gorgeous card Camille!

CherylQuilts said...

Camille, what a gorgeous card and wonderful use of these amazing colors! I love the card design with the lattice work behind, and your shamrock bouquet is beautifully colored! Stunning card, sweet friend, and congratulations on guest designing! Your work is lovely, and it's so fabulous that you are spotlighted! Hugs!