Tuesday

Creative Confetti: Designing in the Dark!



Okay, who's afraid of the dark? No, I don't mean literally! I mean, who is afraid to take a beautiful image, stamp it on a darker paper and then color with reckless abandon? Do you step back and worry about the results? Do you wonder if your colors really show? Well, this week we are going to conquer our fears with our latest Creative Confetti Challenge! 


HOW TO PLAY: To play along with us this week, all you need to do is use a darker base for stamping. Really, anything darker than white or ivory! Let's smash ourselves out of that box of ONLY creating on white or ivory! I also have a little trick that I am going to share to help you keep the detail on your image after you color. So, let's get to it!

For my sample today, I am doing a little sneaky peek of a BRAND NEW stamp set that will be unveiled this week with Power Poppy's Natural Wonder clear set release! Get ready because the Bloomies are banding together and will start sneaking these amazing images on Wednesday!

Moving on... get a glimpse of Cabbage and Kale!


This set is absolutely beautiful and perfect for fall with ornamental cabbage and kale at the heart of this set! I will say that there are four different images with that fun sentiment that can be mixed and matched. So, stay tuned for our new release starting WEDNESDAY --- tomorrow! 

So, you can see for my card, I chose a deep lime green. I knew that it would be fun to add darker colors and lighter colors to it to almost color my cabbage for me....


What do I mean by "color my cabbage for me?" Well, if you look at the image below, you can see that I literally scribbled the color over my cabbage image. I knew I wanted a hint of ivory, green and yellow to bring out the veining and add a little pizazz. But, when you color, Oh my, you loose all the detail in the veining! Never fear! If you have a MISTI you can bring all that detail right back into play! 

To start, I put all my stamps exactly where I wanted them on my MISTI, closed the door, and stamped using Bamboo Leaves Memento Ink. I colored up my image like you see below.... 


After I was done coloring all of the cabbage, because all the stamps were still stuck in my MISTI, I grabbed a darker shade of Memento Ink -- Olive Grove -- inked up my stamps and stamped over top.

Look at that detail! And, my coloring no longer looks like scribbles!


From there, I masked those images and using Pear Tart Memento Ink, took all four images in the set and stamped over top just to add a little extra texture and interest!


And here's another look at the completed card...


What I love about ornamental cabbage is the color range! You should Google it. So many beautiful options.  Now... for the official rules for Creative Confetti!

HOW TO PLAY:
  • Create a card or project with a dark backdrop! 
  • Use Power Poppy stamps if you have them, if not, you might win some if you're randomly chosen. Each month, we'll round up all those that play in any of the month’s Creative Confetti challenges, and draw a name from the entries to win a $25 GIFT CARD for the Power Poppy Shop!
  • To enter, link up your creation below, sharing the direct link to your card from your blog, Instagram, or card gallery. 
  • Our link will be open all month for you to play along with us! Try one Creative Confetti Challenge or partake in them all for extra chances to win!


So, are you ready to Design in the Dark and pick out a darker paper to stamp and color on? Are you bold enough to try black? There are so many mediums you could use to bring out this look -- shimmer paints, colored pencil, chalk, heat embossing! So many options -- and we can't wait to see which one YOU try! Once you create, don't forget to link your project below so that we can all see. You'll also be in the running for a $25 gift code to the Power Poppy Shop, and that, my friends, is a fun prize!

Until next time!
~Julie 
a.k.a The Creative Confetti Thrower





9 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

What a great Creative Confetti Challenge, Julie! Wow, I love the cabbage and kale and how you've colored them. And I love the subtle images stamped in the background. Beautifully done! I'm sure you are all hustling making gorgeous cards with the newest release! Exciting! Hugs! xoxo

creatingincolors said...

Cabbage and kale.... totally unexpected images for a new stamp set and I love it. Marcella has done it again! Julie, I love the colors you chose for your stunning card. I can't wait to try many colors with this stamp set.

aussie aNNie said...

Interesting challenge, my attempt was, well, see for yourself...mmmm
Love the gorgeous cabbage and kale image and the colours are sensational..

MadeByMeghanK said...

Such a great background and I love the details and all the greens you used!

Lagene said...

The layout and background are awesome! Your scribbly coloring turned out AWESOME! I love the extra faintly stamped plants in the background! I love curly kale for salads and the decorative variety of kale and cabbage is beautiful to see!

Denise Bryant said...

Lovely card!

Camille Short said...

I love this stamp set and your coloring on a dark base.

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous card Julie, love the green on green, beautifully coloured, and the new stamp sets are such fun, these 'cabbages' could be many colours

Mary Holshouser said...

Fantastic. the shading
really gives them lots of
dimension. thanks for
sharing.
txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot)com