Monday

Inspire Me Monday: Christmas Corgis with Kathy, Julie, and Marcy


Happy Monday, all! It’s Marcella here, presenting a switcharoo on how we traditionally bring you Inspire Me Monday. Today we are featuring one stamp and three ladies’ crafty takes on coloring it up. In honor of the Daily Marker’s 30 Day Coloring Challenge, we aren’t even making cards, we’re just coloring for the pure pleasure of it. 

Come see what we’re up to with Christmas Corgis clear stamp set.

Kathy Racoosin, the Daily Marker

Kathy took our little leaping Corgi and put him on his tiptoes! What a clever idea. And then made a sign on which to place the sentiment, accented with a holly sprig. I wouldn’t have thought to do this in a million years. I guess that’s why we call this column, “Inspire Me Monday”. I love the playful arrangement of Kathy’s elements in the space, the doggie on his tiptoes draws your eye up to the sentiment, which even looks like it has marquee lights with her tiny white dots!


Another thing I'm loving about Kathy’s Corgi is the way she colored the fur. There is some seriously interesting texture happening - all created with light and shadow and fine strokes of her Copics. It’s like a reindeer and a Corgi went to the beauty shop and came out with this elegant coiffure.

Julie Koerber, the Bloom Brigade


Julie decided to color up her Christmas Corgi in classic “Pembroke Welsh Corgi” coloring, caramel and white. She grabbed a handful of Copies and used tiny quick strokes to bring out his fur and add wonderful shading.


As to the background, Jules didn’t know how she might use the little Corg in an upcoming card just yet, whether he would be prancing or splooting (when the dog is completely splayed out with paws fully extended out back, we call it a SPLOOT!), so she created a lovely versatile background that can go either way! So fun, simple, and quick... finished off with rosy cheeks for extra cuteness factor.

Marcella Hawley, Power Poppy


For our last example of Christmas Corgis, I got out my Prismacolor Premier colored pencils. The giant mix of 150 colors was a bit of a splurge on Amazon, but I cannot tell you how worth it it is to have such a range of colors at your fingertips. I plucked out the following shades of brown, beige, and a bit of pink for the paws and insides of Tibbs’ ears.


I don’t know that I even used all of the browns... but I had them out in case I wanted to. I was sure to start with the lightest colors and build shading with each coat. I also followed the shading in the stamp to know where to put my shadows. Then I glanced over at Tibbs to get a good look at his unique coloring. Our Corgi Tibbs is a mix of Pembroke and Cardigan Welsh Corgi, and he has a blue merle coat on his back, which gives him some grey and black spotting.

For the background, I used two colored pencils: Pale Sage and Light Green. I thought they looked pretty against the caramels, greys, and ivory tones of Tibbs’ fur.


Lastly, I added “snow” using a white paint pen. It was being particularly gloppy today, but I decided that I like the variations in the dots! Happy accident strikes again.



In case you missed this pic in our newsletter.... it snowed here earlier this week!


It all melted within a few days, but gotta say that the snow helped me get into the holiday spirit. And I know that my Christmas Corgi had an absolute blast playing in it.

Well friends, that’s it for today! I sure hope you’re enjoying your Thanksgiving preparations and the big day itself. Much love from Power Poppy HQ.

3 comments:

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Gorgeous examples with the Corgis stamp set. I love them all three!
Thanks for showing Kathy, Julie and Marcella and ofcourse the awesome photo of Tibbs in the snow.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Marcy, what a fun blog post seeing all the sweet and adorable Corgi images! I love this set and especially love how you've colored your dearest Tibbs! You've got his fur looking so realistic! I love it! Hugs! xoxo

Traci M said...

Marcy, this is one of your Christmas sets that made it to my cart right away...just love this stamp and have had so much fun making cards with the cute little Corgi. We had a Corgi for many years...our girls named him Copper; but he became Mr. Copper Fella because he always looked so dapper! It was fun revisiting. Your card captures their personality so well...perfect shading and love the greenish background with the snow. Thanks for sharing Mr. Tibbs with us!