Monday

Inspire Me Monday ~ Embossing Digital Images


Hello, hello, hello!!!  I tried something I've never done before not knowing if it was even going to work.  When Marcella first showcased this Vital Rose digital image, I knew I wanted to emboss it in white and watercolor it.  But, it was a digital image.  So, I thought I could use my Minc machine and add white foil after coloring it.  Well, that was a fail.  When I tried photo copying the image onto watercolor paper, the toner ink spread to random places.  Nope.  

I was discouraged until I remembered I had a Versamark pen.  Why couldn't I just print the image, onto watercolor paper, in a light gray,  and trace it with the Versamark pen?  Fingers crossed...IT WORKED!!!  

Now, it transformed the rose a little bit by making it more whimsical with the bolder lines, but it only proved how versatile the Power Poppy images are.  The pen has a thick brush side, and a nib, but the nib is still pretty wide, so you really do need more "coloring space" before outlining because of the bold lines it creates after embossing.  But with digital images, you can just enlarge them. 


I used Zig Clean Color Brush Markers to color the Rose, cut it out, and added some pizazz with a Gold Leafing Pen by shaking it over the top.  I also added some gold roughly around the edges of the layers.   The sentiment (from the clear stamp set Chrysanthemum XL) was stamped onto Gold Metallic cardstock with white pigment ink and embossed also.

That's it.  I hope you give it a try.  It's easy, and expands the use of your digital images even more.  How fun is that?!?!?!?

Happy Stamping!!
 Tosh

12 comments:

Marianne said...

Wonderful card! I've been wondering how to watercolour digital images but I have never thought of tracing the image with a versamark pen. Will have to try this with a suitable image. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cynthia said...

This is beautiful, Tosh! Thanks for the embossing tip.

Natasa said...

Really beautiful and I love the colours. Thank you for the tip! Definitely will give it a shot!

Rosy Newlun said...

Re"marker"able!!!! Who knew? Good for you to experiment and come up with this beauty!!! It's so gorgeous - thank you for sharing!

Wendy said...

Good Thinking!! Thanks :D

Clipping Path said...

Gorgeous card with those lovely

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that is gorgeous and I love the idea that we can emboss our digis too!

Donna Oates said...

Lovely image and card.

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

This is awesome Tosha, I love that you embost it. And it shows indeed how versatile digital images can be. Thank you so much for this awesome experiment that tunrs out in a gorgeous card.

Angelnorth said...

Great solution for embossing digis! Anyone with an *inkjet* printer might want to try another route too. Using detail powder works best - have your supplies ready to go so you can work quickly and sprinkle on the powder as the printer pushes out your image. Tap off excess and carry on as normal with the heat gun. A bit of experimentation for the best combination of cardstock and print quality might be necessary to get the best out of different makes/models of inkjet.

Cheryl Scrivens said...

Wow, Tosh, what a gorgeous card and a wonderful "experiment" that is fabulous! I love your creativity and especially love how daring you are. I just checked my Versamark pen and will have to try it someday. Love the beautiful coloring and wonderful finished card! It's stunning. Hugs and love! xoxo

Nicky said...

Bonjour de France, j'ai déjà embossé sur du papier calque ou velum, imprimé en jet d'encre en gris ou sépia mais en haute qualité. L'impression est suffisamment mouillée et la poudre à embosser a bien adhéré.