Wednesday

12 Days of Christmas - Day 9!

Hello all! Hope these 12 days of Christmas the Power Poppy way are just making your heart bubble with holiday inspiration! I am popping on the Power Poppy Blog today for DAY 9 to share some clean and classy creations from Christine Okken. We all know that Christmas cards can prove challenging when it comes to layers and postage and just getting a larger creation in the mail. So, Christine is peeling the layers back, literally, to show us you can have a "WOW" creation without a ton of extras. And, to make it even easier, she used one stamp set --  Cuddle in the Cabin -- to create 4 different and beautiful cards.

Let's first take a peek at this beautiful set! Its imagery is so serene with a retreat in the woods just sitting and waiting for you to enjoy! What's wonderful about this set is that there are so many interchangeable scenes that you can create with just this ONE set! 


For those who love digital sets instead of clear, GOOD NEWS! These images are available in digital format as well HERE! 

So, let's get right to the magic that Christine created! 

CARD 1



In this creation, Christine stamped the tree from the set multiple times using Rustic Wilderness Distress Ink on watercolor paper. Now, here's the fun part. She used a water brush to drag down the color from the ink to ground the images and give it so much depth. Brilliant! Add a little torn-edge on the paper, a wee bit of bling and you have a card that just screams classy! 

CARD 2



This creation is not only a breath of fresh air with those cool tones, it just underscores Christine's artistic talent. First, she stamped the sentiment from the set onto watercolor paper, added some color to the open block letters with some watercolor and then, added the watercolor pine branches to form a wreath by hand. I have never done this myself, but seeing how beautiful it is, I am tempted to try freehanding like she did! I am pretty sure I'd need to lightly trace a circle first before I started the handpainting. She used Daniel Smith Watercolor paints and then embossed the sequins to serve as the "berries" on the wreath from the Let it Glow stamp set. If you aren't brave enough to try hand painting, you could use the elements from the Enchanted Branches Nativity to try crafting a wreath with stamps! 

CARD 3



Well, it really doesn't get more simple than this beautiful creation above! Christine stamped the Be Still scene, colored with Copics and Prismacolor pencils and... ta-da! Fini! I love the visual effect she created by coloring in the sky to create that round effect above the mountainscape. 

CARD 4




I don't know about you, but I think there's something whimsical about stamping on dark papers and using light pencils or even bleach (as Christine did) to help create contrast. This card is the perfect example of that! Christine stamped and embossed the cabin from this set on navy card stock, painted bleach into the highlights and light sources for the moonlight and lamplight glow and then used white acrylic paint splatters to serve as her snow! She then used white ink for the sentiment (from the Let it Glow stamp set). The whole effect is soft and inviting! Christine did want to point out when using bleach, sometimes the bleach reacts differently with different papers. It's not a bad idea to test drive the bleach on a scrap before you begin. In this case, the effect is not white but more cream or light yellow, which is perfect for the glowing moon!

I hope you've enjoyed these clean and classy and easy to replicate creations using, for the most part, just one stamp set! So creative and fun! 

If you missed any of the days of our fun little Power Poppy 12 Days of Christmas extravaganza, just click HERE to scroll through all the days and.... get ready to be inspired! 

Thanks for stopping by! 





31 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautiful inspiration, Christine! I LOVE the cabin on blue card stock. Fabulous coloring technique.

Henriƫtte Creatively Happy said...

Each card is a beauty Christine! But...I have a favorite, the awesome first card.
Clean and simple but so elegant, I love it.
Thank you so much for sharing, stay safe and have a wonderful day.

Lisa H said...

Christine, I love these cards. My 2 favorites are the pine trees and that gorgeous wreath. Love the colors and the sentiments. I have been making Christmas cards since March and still have a ton of ideas in my head! Sending a lot of holiday wishes to friends and family this year, especially since we can't be together.

Gab said...

OH wow these are just amazing. That first card with the row of trees is just stunning. And your wreath card is amazing too - love the colours you used.

Kathy J in Ellicott City said...

What great projects!

Lisa K said...

These are so pretty! I am finished making cards for this year, but might think about your ideas for winter birthday cards.

Heather said...

Oh, wow!! These are all so beautiful! Simple and beautiful! My favorite is definitely the first one with the row of evergreen trees! Love it!

Jacinda said...

All of these cards are beautiful!!

Camille Short said...

Stunning! what a fabulous work! The Christmas trees look amazing.

Ann said...

Lovely cards, I think I am feeling the blue out of this sweet array of cards. The blue really sets off the scene.

creatingincolors said...

Beautiful inspiration. I’ll be using this stamp set a lot!

Sandy said...

They're all pretty, but that dark blue card is stunning! Thanks for sharing.

AndreaH said...

WOW Christine you've been very busy! Oh I love them all, the 1st looks so simple but so so classy and quite easy to CAS. {probably really hard for me but I will try and do some similar as ive not even started on my cards yet!!} Your 2nd again is sooo beautiful and i love the colours and doing it freehand well not a chance of me doing anything freehand hahaha didn't know sequins could be embossed. I think I will have to try this. the way the 3rd card has been stamped and perfectly coloured looks like its sitting in a snow drift. {think you have to be quite an accomplished artist to do this!} and well the 4th is just out of this world, ive never done the bleach effect before but I certainly will give it go but I bet I don't get results like Christen hahaha. Thank you for showing Christine's cards and for all the inspiration. X X X X

V. K. said...

These cards with peaceful images are living up to the release name of "Quiet Christmas" Love the CAS mountain top and "Be Still." The cabin in blue is stunning.

Debbie A Smith said...

Even though each card as clean and simple look, Christine has added just a little extra to each card to take them up a notch. I love the sequin stamp!

Berina RGA said...

Beautiful cards!! Yes, I agree on the dark colored card stock!! That navy blue card is stunning!! Amazing work with bleach coloring!!

Valerija said...

I love all these cards. Thanks for inspiration.
Valerija xx

Tina Z. said...

so peaceful!

Anonymous said...

beausitul cards - love the designs

GothBarbie said...

Oh how lovely! I just love the way the mood of each card truly reflects the sentiment! And what perfect sentiments they are! Good job!

Nicola Gold said...

They're all beautiful, but I especially love the scene on the dark card

Maryann scrapbooking said...

TrĆØs belles crĆ©ations, j'adore la premiĆØre.
MaryannG

Very beautiful creations, I love the first one.
MaryannG

Unknown said...

Looks like the cabin we have. Love it.

sewok said...

Love the scenery! Looks almost like my home with the evergreens in the background. But my favorite is the row of trees. Love it.

Dracowin said...

I love how beautiful the very simple cards are. Sometimes in trying to make things special we forget that we don't necessarily need to do a lot. Using the Dark blue paper to create the night scene is also a beautiful effect.

Sue said...

The blue card with the cabin is stunning.

LOU said...

Beautiful cards.

Denise Bryant said...

Beautiful designs! Love these pretty cards!

kReN said...

I love scenery cards. This set is super! Love the samples!

Keen Crafter's Hand Made Goodies said...

Gorgeous

Barb said...

Such beautiful cards, Christine. You really showed the versatility of this set. Gorgeous work!