Monday

Inspire Me Monday: A Winter's Night

Hello, my Power Poppy Friends! It is my turn once again to share some inspiration with you. 

I wanted to share a project that stretches me out of my comfort zone...coloring a dark background with Copic markers! So worrisome to me! I think it probably scares a lot of folks, especially Copic beginners. I can never color the background first for some reason, which means once I have colored the main image it scares me to try a dark background and potentially ruin all my hard work! 
I decided to pull on my big girl mittens and give a night background a try! I used the "to be released soon" digital Feeding Blitzen image that was originally part of the Under Glass: Christmas Traditions clear stamp set. 

The original stamped image is fairly small, so having it in a digital version which can be resized...priceless! I printed the image at approximately 3" x 5" onto white Copic friendly cardstock. 
This project has a lot of dark Copic markers! Don't be afraid of them. Just grab and go! It is only paper after all. If you make a mistake, you can always start over! 

Tip: If your Copic markers are old like mine, make sure your super brush nibs are fresh and flexible. When the nibs get old they get very "smooshy" which makes it hard to get into the fine details or to hold a sharp edge. The nibs are not expensive and are easily replaced.
I colored Santa and Blitzen first, including the apples and the snow. Using cool gray for Santa's beard and fur trim, then using blues for the snow shadows seemed very dark to me, until I added the background! 

Using the dark blue for the background was a bit intimidating, and I had to go over it and darken it to get rid of the streaks, but once it was finished....wow does the white and red pop! 

Here are my colors:

Santa's suit and apples: R24, R29, R59
Mittens and leaves: YG25, YG17, YG67, with a bit of E51 and E23 to tone down the mittens!
Boots, belt, hoofs, beard: C1, C3, C5, C7, C9
Blitzen: E53, E55, E57, E29
Santa's face: E50, E51, R21, E23
Belt buckle: Y17, Y15, Y11
Snow: B0000, B000, B00
Sky: B91, B93, B95, B97

Some of that pesky blue got onto Blitzen's antlers, but let's pretend it is shadows, shall we?!
After the Copic ink had dried I went back over the image with a white Posca paint pen to add the falling snow. Thankfully the snow did not turn pink or blue! The paint is thick enough that the Copic color did not bleed through! Or, maybe because I allowed the ink to fully dry?? 

I chose the sentiment from the Garden of Gratitude clear set which I stamped onto a scrap of cardstock and cut out with a skinny sentiment die. 

Here is more "winter's  night" inspiration from the past to help you take the plunge!
I used the Cuddle in the Cabin clear stamp set, but this image also is part of the digital set HERESee the original post HERE.

I used the digital version of the Enchanted Branches: Nativity Angel set and the ornaments from the Enchanted Branches: Woodland set. See the original post HERE.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Power Poppy Products Used:
Feeding Blitzen digital set (coming soon)
Garden of Gratitude clear set (sentiment)

Other Products Used: 
Copic alcohol markers
Posca white paint pen
White cardstock
Red cardstock
Simple Stories Vintage Rustic Christmas paper pad
Enamel dot

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautiful coloring, Gloria. I agree, it's hard to color the background of a scene. TFS!

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Wow Gloria your card is stunning, totally love this and your dark background is fabulous!
Love the image and can't wait that it will be available in a digital image.
Thank you so much for sharing this and the other beauties, stay safe and have a wonderful day.