Tuesday

Hues to Use: Soaking Up Summer




Hi all! Are you ready for an explosion of color that you can then use to spark your own creativity? Well then, you have come to the right place!

Since we recently celebrated Labor Day, which is the official end of summer, I thought all of us -- as colorista rebels -- would say, "Oh yeah? End of summer? No way Jose!" And we'd just show Mother Nature that we still have a love for this sun-shiny season! And so, I thumbed through Marcella's IG feed and zeroed in on this beauty! In the words of Marce, "When all the things on the table are color coordinated, you gotta take a photo of it!" 


We've got a bit of lime green, a little candy apple red and a splash of grass green for you this week -- one last way to be 'Soakin' Up Summer!! Aren't these hues downright delish? Well, wait until you see what our guest designer did with this color combo! That's right, we have a guest this week and that fine and talented lady is....

KATHLEEN SANDERS A.K.A. COLORIN' KATE! 

Before we get to her AH-MAZE-ING creation, let's hear a little bit about this cardmaker who just so happens to have mad multi-media coloring skills! 

"Hello, I'm Kate. I have two adult boys. I live in the Midwest/ Wisconsin. For the last 20 years, I have been blessed to be able to teach coloring classes at my local stamp stores and work as a demonstrator at various trade shows.  My love for coloring started as a young girl with coloring books and was rekindled when introduced to the world of stamping.  I use whatever medium I feel best lends itself to the art I am working on.

Let's take a look at what I created using Power Poppy's digital stamp set Apples in Season...


For this card, I used the mixed media approach that has been my standard since I started stamping, that is an alcohol marker and colored pencil combo.  

Thanks so much for taking a look at my take on the Hues to Use Challenge for the week. I feel so honored to have been given the opportunity to be a guest among an extremely talented group of designers whose work I have greatly admired for years."

We thank YOU, Kate, for sharing this gorgeous creation. Your coloring on that apple not only looks delish but it is so realistic! I might just have to "pin" this one so that I can give this kind of shading a try the next time I print off this digi! Fabulous job!!

I have to say, Marcella and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Kate last winter at CHA as she worked at the Tonic Studios booth. She's just as darling in real life as her coloring is breathtaking. We sat and talked for quite a bit and it was so fun to meet crafters who shared your love for all things Power Poppy! 

So, what are you waiting for peeps? Dig into these summery shades and then, link up your creation below! And as we always say, your creation could spark an invitation for YOU to be a guest designer for one of our upcoming Hues to Use blog posts! We put you in the spotlight and you get a fun new digital image to create with! And if that doesn't "get" you, consider this! It's too much fun not to try your hand at this color combo! ;-)

Thanks for stopping by! We can't wait to see what you create!


~Julie


8 comments:

Berina RGA said...

Beautiful colors!! Kate, your card is stunning!! Love your coloring. The apples look so real! Thank you for sharing your card with us.

lritchie said...

Stunning coloring, I hope one day I'll be able do something as gorgeous and real as these apples look, great work!

Marcella Hawley said...

Absolutely apple-icious and OVER THE TOP GORGEOUS, KATE!!! What a perfectly presented card, like a botanical work of art. I am beyond honored to see you share your coloring and beautiful card here with us on the blog. It was so much fun meeting you at CHA last year, we giggled a lot, didn't we?!

janecrisci said...

Kathy what a fantastic card! Your coloring is top of the line! Great use of the "Hues To Use."

Conniecrafter said...

Wow that is amazing, so real, Lovely work!

Essie said...

What a gorgeous rendition of these beautiful apples....and I love that you've made this beautiful piece stand on its own! Wonderful!!

Marjorie DUMONTIER said...

The colors are truly stunning !!

CherylQuilts said...

Congratulations, Kate, on being Guest Designer, and what exquisite coloring! The apples come alive and are so vibrant and delicious looking! Yum! Beautifully done, and I love how you've created your card! And what a great use of the Hues to Use! Hugs!