Tuesday

Simply Sweet Hues

Hello sweet peeps! Are you ready for a trio of colors so sweet that you just might get a cavity looking at them? Well, set your sights on this Valentine-inspired color combo that's at the center of this week's.....



Take a gander at those sugar-coated cranberries! Not only do they look delish but it is such a cool photo to boot. These cranberries were the culinary work of Marcy’s step-sister, Jennifer, who used them to top a chocolate cake. Can't you just taste those sour and sweet berries just by looking at this image? Too fun! In order to play along with us, all you need to do is cue up hues of pink, red and white and make them the centerpiece of your card or creation! After you are done creating make sure you link up your creation on the linky below! 

Now, to give us a dose of inspiration, we have 
another sweet treat! 

We have a fabulous guest joining us today to share not only the fun-filled color cues but a card she made to show it off! Let's meet...



Hello everyone! I'm Francine Dodwell. I’ve always been able to say I’m a “Born and Raised So. Cal. Girl,” until four years ago when my family and I found this wonderful home in a secluded area of North Idaho. I have a full-time job and in what free time I find, I enjoy spending it outside hiking, camping, fishing, snowshoeing and learning about the outdoors.  I think that is a part of why I love Marcella’s stamps. When I can’t be outside, I can enjoy her lovely creations inside.  She is such an amazing artist.  I love how she captures and combines various unique flowers and leaves and creates a beautiful image to enjoy.

I have been creative since I was little. I was always involved in something -- making banners for school, sewing and crocheting projects, or making gifts for holidays, to name a few. Within the last year, cardmaking has resurfaced in my life and I am so in awe of how the industry has grown.  I love all the different companies, products, techniques; there is so much to explore!

FRANCINE'S CARD


The project I am sharing today started with Power Poppy’s digital image: Tree Peony.  Power Poppy has a wonderful tutorial HERE on how to use digital images.  Digital images give you a bit of creativeness while keeping with the artist's original image. You can resize the image, flip the image, layer with other images -- there is so much you can do with a digital image.  I love how the Peony flower is so big and bold, so I choose to enlarge the image so it would just about fill the size of an A2 (4.25 x 5.5”) card. 


I printed the image on paper designed for pencil coloring and used my Prismacolor pencils to showcase this amazing flower.  Pencil coloring is very relaxing and I simply colored away petal by petal through the flower.  I love how Marcella’s includes shading and highlighting, so as you progress you can easily tell where to use a dark shadow or a lighter highlight. When I finished coloring the peony, I found a piece of rose pink paper to compliment the red.  On the rose pink paper, I used a white gel pen and a ruler added some lines and dots to accent the paper.  I then trimmed around the peony and layered it on the pink background paper.  To create the tag sentiment, I adjusted the image size before printing on some pink paper and layering on black and adhering with foam tape.  Finally, to complete the card, I mounted on cherry red cardstock.


Thank you so much Francine! Your card is absolutely lovely and I just sighed when I saw that depth of color that you brought out in this image. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us this week! If you'd like to check up on some of Francine's other designs, all you need to do is click on over to her Instagram HERE! She has some amazing cards just oozing with creativity and color! 

So take us up on this challenge and.... when you do, remember to link up your creation below! We love to see your take on our weekly color combos. They inspire! We also love to put you in the spotlight by making you, our Power Poppy Peeps, our guests here. So play along, link  up your creations and, who knows, we could be seeing you sometime soon as our hostess with the mostess!

Until next week!
~Julie


4 comments:

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I love that beautiful deep red color! Lovely job!

Berina RGA said...

Such a beautiful card Francine! I love your coloring. Congratulations!!

CherylQuilts said...

Francine, congratulations on being this week's Guest Designer! What a gorgeous card using one of my favorite digis -- the Tree Peony! Your coloring is exquisite, and I love how you've filled the card with it and added a lovely pattern under the bottom portion. Beautifully finished with the tag treatment! I love it all! Warm hugs and thanks for inspiring us!

Camille Short said...

Lovely card, Francine - these hues are adorable!