Monday

Doggone Good Project for Book Lovers!

Hi sweet peeps! Today, I have a fun little project that shows you one more way to put a twist on digital stamps! You know I love taking a digital stamp and making a few edits to maximize how I can use it. Recently, Marcella released a new digi that took one of the images from the Christmas Corgi clear set and made it a digital stamp -- or one you can instantly enjoy!


Recently, my daughter started reading a book for a school book report and told me she needed a bookmark. When I said I'd make her one, I asked if she had any requests. She said, "a Corgi bookmark!"

At first, I thought about making her a Christmas theme with the set Christmas Corgis but when Marcella released this latest digi, I knew exactly what I would do!



I started by opening up the image in Photoshop Elements and had one goal in mind -- erase those antlers! While they are darling, I thought it would be fun to have a little dancing Corgi bookmark! I started by using the ink dropper tool and clicking on the white background. From there, I clicked on the paintbrush and then instead of "erasing," I colored over the antlers to essentially erase them.



From there, I created a new file that was 2.5" wide by 5" long and started dragging and dropping the anter-less corgi onto the canvas....


In order to make sure the corgis were flip-flopped in different directions...


I clicked on "image," then clicked on "rotate" and "flip horizontal" to make the corgi move in the opposite direction.

The next step is coloring up my trio of fur balls! I printed and trimmed down to 2.5" by 5", adding a little paper piecing as well. I also knew that I wanted to create a little pizazz in my background, so I used my removable full sheet Avery labels and printed the image again to create a few masks.


After placing all the masks, I used Post-It Notes to mask the paper pierced edges. I wanted the outside portion of the paper piercing to remain white for a little extra pop.

When it came to the background, I took my inspiration from Amy Shulke's creation HERE, using two of the inks she did for her background - Weathered Wood and Stormy Sky Distress Inks - and adding Broken China. (Just an FYI, Amy has a class on how to color fur using Christmas Corgi -- click HERE to learn more!)


And this is what it looked like after sponging on the ink. I followed Amy's lead and used a little water to sprinkle on some water dots to give it that mottled look. Love that!


Then it was time to give these little guys some color, so I grabbed my Copic markers and went to town coloring! I used E31, E33, C1, R01, and E21.

After I was done coloring, I decided I wanted to add just a little more pizazz, so I grabbed Power Poppy's stamp set Small But Mightly Affirmations and decided to use the little hearts and starburst. Before I stamped, I put my masks back on so that none of the starbursts would be stamped over my already colored corgis.


And here's a look at my finished bookmark...


I did add a little sparkle thanks to a Gellyroll sparkle gel pen...


And that, my friends, is it! Add a little ribbon, a silver button and some twine and you're good to stick this little number in your next great read!

Thanks for stopping by and seeing what I cooked up for you! I'll be back tomorrow with this week's Creative Confetti challenge! I have to warn you, my project today is a bit of a teaser for what's to come! ;-)

See you then!

~Julie

6 comments:

Lagene said...

This is entirely too CUTE! Your daughter had to be thrilled with her corgy bookmark!

Henriƫtte Creatively Happy said...

What a great idea to make a bookmark, never thought of. Thank you for showing and your great digi turorial.

Kelly Rix said...

This is genius! This may be a dumb question, but what program did you use? It's a super cute bookmark and I love the added sparkles and hearts :)

Julie Koerber said...

Well... I will get that detail included! I used Photoshop Elements! Thanks for asking!

Pati said...

So pretty and fun with the corgis! And what a loving gift to your young reader! Thanks for sharing your techniques. This is just another prompting/reason for me to get Photoshop Elements. ;)

Sherri Thacker said...

This is so cute!! I just bought this stamp set and I think I’ll
Copy your idea!!!