Friday

Friday Fun Day in Captivity



Hello there, dear ones. I sincerely hope you are “hanging in there” with our new reality of staying home, wearing masks and gloves on the rare occasions that we venture out for supplies, and having our way of life uprooted. I understand that anxiety is high, the future is uncertain in so many ways. 

That is why I continue to remember that living in the present moment and practicing gratitude are crucial to remaining positive at this time. If you can focus on your breath, just breathing in and out slowly, noticing cool, refreshing life coursing through your veins, that is something to be very grateful for. Look around and see how hard and selflessly health care workers, first responders, and many leaders are working to preserve our society and the greater good, and marvel at how so many folks are doing good works, sewing masks, making thank you cards, raising money to help support those who have lost work due to the stay-at-home order. It’s truly incredible, really. A show of humanity that leaves me speechless.

I’ve been spending almost all my time in the garden, working, planning, and dreaming. I had originally planned to design many new images for people to color at this time. I sketched up a whole bunch of interesting things... but in the end, I couldn’t get myself to draw. Not just yet. My mind is distracted by things coming to life in my garden, and for now, I’m having to go with that. I do plan to get back to my drawing table soon — as I know having NEW things to work on is the absolute best feeling!! I promise I’ll return soon with fresh fun images filled with hopeful words. Love you all.


Meanwhile, in the garden... Brownie double tulips are opening up, and I love how their darkest notes pick up on the veins of “bloody sorrel”, an herb I planted last year that came back and is thriving! The yellow bell-shaped bloom in the foreground is Fritillaria pallidiflora.


My front garden, established in Fall, 2018, has been bursting with blooms for about three weeks now. It is rather challenging to photograph, as it looks like one giant field, but it’s actually got a few little pathways meandering through, and bulbs galore. I have been working on a new bed to the left of this photo, in what had previously been vinca and euonymus groundcover. I spent almost a week ripping all of that out with my shovel and two hands, and then laid in a new stairway with chunky pavers from another area in our yard. I’ll share more photos as the season goes on, it’s going to be cool!


I absolutely love when a color combination I’ve dreamed up through plant catalogs and my sketchbook comes together how I’d envisioned. I used the leaves of Heuchera ‘Green Spice’ with their deep maroon veining as a backdrop for ‘Madonna’ parrot tulips and ‘Chansonette’ single late tulips. Notice how the colors echo one another, isn’t that fun?


In the back garden, tulip ‘Apricot Parrot’ continues to dazzle. I’d say these guys have been in bloom for over two weeks. They just get better and better! All so unique and fascinating.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Our POWERHOUSE of designers have created so much spring-y beauty for you to enjoy today. Let’s take a tour!




Leslie Miller | Asters Abuzz digital



Christine Okken | Tree Peony digital


Stacy Morgan | Strong and Beautiful



Barbara Campbell | Big Flouncy Peony digital 





Broni Holcombe | Woodland Carpet


Nancy Sheads | In Praise of Sunflowers


Well, that was about as refreshing as taking those deep, soothing breathes I was talking about earlier!! And definitely gets me in the mood to draw, that’s for sure.


If you’re looking to get in on a really awesome coloring class, get ready, because on April 25, Amy Shulke is offering an awesome online livestream to help us bring my Tree Peony class to a level of sunshine-y stardom! 


Learn more about our collaboration with Vanilla Arts here — and get in on any classes you may have missed! There are soooooo many pretty ones, and you learn a TON.

Be well, friends. XOXO
~marcella

7 comments:

creatingincolors said...

You will be inspired to draw again when the time is right. Your heart will know. In the meantime, you are doing something else you love, creating an abundance of beauty that gives you joy. You garden gives ME joy, as I’m sure it does others too, by just looking at the photos! Be well.

creatingincolors said...

I forgot to add - your powerhouse of designers are creating a lot of beauty too. What gorgeous cards!

ednamburgess said...

Your garden is absolutely beautiful and so are all these cards that have been posted. Love all the variety and the colors. I have so many of your stamps and love each of them. Thanks.

Bonnie said...

I love how your garden grows and I'm sure you will be back to drawing soon. A beautiful garden of cards here too!

Donna Ellis said...

Your beautiful garden looks like something from a storybook, Marcella! Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your creative juices have taken a holiday, but they will return at the perfect time! Wishing you well, de

Nora Noll said...

Your garden is so pretty!! I wish that I could have something like this in my yard but alas, it is way too shady for flowers. I have tried. Thank you for sharing the beauty. You will be inspired to draw again. Just let it go and enjoy getting your hands dirty!

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Awesome garden, I love all your beautiful tulips.
Don't force yourself to draw, it comes along when it's in your creative brain ready.
Thank you so much for your great post, stay safe and have a wonderful day.