Monday

Inspire Me Monday: Holiday Coasters!

 

Hi all and welcome to another edition of Inspire Me Monday! As I was putting all my Halloween decorations away, I was starting to realize just how close the holiday season is from ... RIGHT NOW! Can you believe we are already being inundated with Black Friday commercials and it's not even Thanksgiving yet? Even still, this is the perfect time to create for the holidays, before the hustle and bustle get us into full-blown shopping and baking mode! :-)

When I thought about something that might be fun and yet not too difficult to make, I decided to hit up the craft supply aisle at my local Walmart. And.... I found these!


Plaid has this package of four wooden coasters that I decided might be fun to paint up in a metallic color and decoupage on some holiday imagery. 

I grabbed some Krylon Looking Glass Silver spray paint and took the coasters outside hitting them with the spray paint every other minute. The bottle claimed you can use five thin coats with an ultimate dry time of about 10 minutes. Perfect! The paint did soak into the wood quite a bit but I still love the shimmer it provided. What was even better was that I had this paint in the house. 


I love that cozy feeling that winter provides so, in my head, I kept seeing the digital stamp, Cuddle in the Cabin. I opened up the image in my Photoshop Elements and moved the deer closer in on the image and then printed!


I also used the Spellbinders Nestabilities Hemstitch Square die to cut my image out and chose the die set that was just a wee bit smaller than my painted coaster. See? 


From there, it's coloring time! I decided to color just two of the images and chose to color the house just a little differently between the two images. After I was done, I used Modge Podge to attach my images to my wooden coasters...


Here's a peek at how the first coaster turned out....


And here's the second one!


When I was done, I decided that I might want a holder for my coasters. Who knows, I might decide these are a fun little gift for someone along with some cold-weather goodies! So, I created this holder below. 


I just love this little die-cut poinsettia thanks to a Spellbinders die (Shapeabilities Layered Poinsettia). After layering two of the die cuts, I did add some razzle dazzle in the center. 



Want to know how I created this little holder? I actually cued up an old tutorial I did over on my blog and you can find it HERE!

So, there you have it! Two coasters ready to hold my cocoa or spiced coffee when the winter chill moves on in!


Thanks for stopping by and spending a little time with me! I hope you had a little fun and have those creative holiday juices starting to flow! 

Have a fun and crafty week everyone!





4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Really fun project, Julie! I love this cabin set and your coasters turned out great.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Fabulous coloring, Julie, and cute project! Although, I'd be hanging those on the wall or a tree, lol. Have to add, I also have the Spellbinders dies you used as well as the cabin digi -- how often does that happen? XOX

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

These are stunning Julie and what a great gift idea!

Sorry that you all didn't hear so long from me, I had the past half year a lot of health troubles with my lungs and on top of that I got Covid. Still having trouble with my saturation from the aftermat of Covid and have to take it very easy.

I also have tried everything but somehow I don't get the emailnotification/newsletters of the blog anymore. I also can't find a button to sign in for the newsletter here on the blog again, do I overlook this?
I miss it and with all the healtisseus and many emails in my box I often forget to look on Tuesday (I always had the notification on Tuesday because I live in The Netherlands) on the blog.
I so hope someone can tell me how to get the newsletter again.

Thank you so much Julie for your stunning post, stay safe and have a wonderful day.

Camille Short said...

What a FABULOUS idea and you have colored them so beautifully, a FAB project.