Monday

Inspire Me: Watercolor Effect with Copics

Howdy Power Poppy people! It's Monday... time for another fun and fabulous Inspire Me Monday!

I'm Allison and I'm your hostess today and I'm going to share two mini tutorials today; one showing your how I cut my focal image from my cardstock and the other, how to use Copics to achieve a watercolor effect!

Let's start off by showing you how I cut out my image...

I first began by dusting my cardstock with my powder tool so no stray embossing powder flecks would stick where I didn't want them. Then I inked up my Potted Primroses stamp with Versamark ink and stamping it onto smooth light cream cardstock.  I then sprinkled some detail black embossing powder all over my image and then heat set my powder to a shiny black finish.

I took my image and placed my circular die over top of the image and centered it to where I was happy with the placement.  Then I traced the inside AND the outside of the die with a pencil.  Using my scissors, I then cut only the leaves that crossed over the inner circle - I cut them from the leaf's tip to just a few millimeters (1/8") past the inner pencil line.


Then I placed my image into the die and very carefully pulled the leaves that were cut up and over the edge of the die.  This allows for the circle shape to be cut without chopping off any of those gorgeous leaves.  A held my die in place with a little washi tape and sent in through my die cutting machine.


And this is what the final focal point looked like before colouring!


Now, let me show you how I coloured this image using Copic Markers to look like a water color effect!


Here's another quick look at the finished card...


And here's a little close up...


Thanks for joining me today!  I sure hope you enjoyed my two mini tutorials for you.  I sure hope you grab your Copic Markers and give this watercolor effect a quick try!

Happy colouring!

~ Allison ~


Supplies:
stamps:  Power Poppy (Potted Primroses)
cardstock:  Recollections black cardstock, Stampin' Up! cream cardstock 
dies:  Spellbinders (Class Circles, Picot Edges Circles), Avery Elle (Gift Tags Die)
Copic Markers: Blooms (BG53, BG49, BG57, Y19) Leaves (YG25, YG17, Y19) Back ground/Tag (E33), Colorless Blender Solution
patterned papers: Graphic45 (Typography)
twine:  Darice
other:  thread.

13 comments:

NancyK said...

So how did you do the water coloring with copics?

Melanie Ann MacKenzie said...

The cutting out part was great but what happened to the colouring part. It was not there. Thanks.

Marcella Hawley said...

Hi Nancy! Our video link has been repaired - please see above for Ally’s rockin' watercoloring techniques with Copics.

Marcella Hawley said...

Hey there Melanie! Our video link has been repaired - please see above for Ally’s rockin’ watercoloring technique with Copics.

CherylQuilts said...

Wonderful tutorial, Ally! Just love the card and beautiful colors! And thanks for the reminder about cutting focal image with a die! But the watercoloring with the embossing is gorgeous! Really love that I can use my Copics to achieve that great effect! Hugs!

Nan0807 said...

Gorgeous! So fun watching you color!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Gorgeous Ally, another fun way to use Copics. Thank you for the directions on how to cut your image with the die to overlap outside of the cutting edge, sometimes the image is a bit bigger than the die you want to use and the next one in size is to big but this way is perfect, I'm going to give it a try.
Thank you for sharing.

Lisa Lara said...

Oh Fabulous technique and tutorial Ally. Thank you girly.

Tina Kelly said...

What a wonderful technique!!!!Thank you so much for showing this. I have to try it right away!

Jen said...

Loved both tutorials--I never thought of filling a watercolor brush with colorless blender but now it seems so obvious--genius! Thank you so much for sharing :)

Debbie Olson said...

Okay, I like YOUR way of selective die-cutting better than MY way--who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :-D Thanks!

Katie Sims said...

Another awesome tutorial Ally! Love that watercolor effect you achieved! :)

Katie Sims said...

Another awesome tutorial Ally! Love that watercolor effect you achieved! :)