Monday

Inspire Me Monday - Loose watercoloring

Hello Friends, How was your weekend? My name is Kathy Racoosin and I am always delighted to guest for Power Poppy's Inspire Me Monday.


At the beginning of the month you might have seen that Power Poppy was in a blog hop for "The Daily Marker 30 Day Coloring Challenge" If you are taking the challenge it's Day 20 . If you have been curious about the challenge and wondering if you want to give it a try .... feel free to jump in.



The great thing about a coloring challenge is it's more about coloring than card making. It's nice to have permission to not make a card and just color for the pure joy of it. For my project today I thought I would share some easy and relaxing watercoloring with distress inks. 



When you love every image in a stamp set like this "Succulent Singles" it's fun to use most of the stamps in the set by creating fun backgrounds. 


For this background I arranged the stamps in the center of the misti and rotated my card so I didn't have to keep moving the stamps. I was thrilled that my paper hanging off the edge worked. Whew!


My favorite backgrounds are one single image in a vertical row. In case you are wondering what ink I used ... let's just say next time I will use distress ink to stamp my images. 



Time only permitted to paint two of the backgrounds. I taped them off with some 3m painters tape because I wanted a boarder of white along the edges plus the tape holds them in place. 


I painted stripes in two shades of purple distress ink with a broad brush FIRST. Once the stripes were dry I painted with a variety of green distress ink on the succulents. It was nice to have a colorful background and not worry about painting around the images. 

The parts of the succulents that had purple from the stripes were easy to paint over and gave the images more of a color range. 


When everything was dry I used some glossy accents to glue them down on some green cardstock. (after glueing I stick the panel in a book so it will dry super flat)

The sentiment is from this beautiful stamp set called, "Loving Tulips" & I stamped the large hello with some black ink.

I hope you give this technique a try ... it's fun to try something different and it's great not to spend a lot of time painting a background. Thanks for your visit today and have a great week. Hugs, Kathy

4 comments:

Berina RGA said...

These are so pretty, Kathy!! Love those backgrounds!

Lucy Schmidt said...

Keep bringing Kathy back. Her ideas are so fresh & fun.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Kathy, I always love seeing what you come up with, and once again I'm not disappointed. I love the way you've used the various images from Succulent Singles and then added the stripes. Beautiful and easy to make a bunch of quick and very pretty cards. Love that sentiment too! Hugs! xoxo

Gemma09 said...

I am new to your blog and beautiful stamps. This Inspire Me Monday post is bolstering my courage to actually TRY to use my Distress Inks with a brush instead of being so intimidated by watercolor. I love the look you have created while using your kinder, gentler approach. Please wish me luck , and I will be sure to keep following for more inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing your talent!