Friday

Day 8: Christmas Cookie Envelope

Hello there, fellow Power Poppy enthusiasts! Cindy here with day 8 of our 12 Days of Christmas fun! Haven't all of the projects been great?!! So many wonderful ideas! Have you missed any of the days? Well, you're in luck, because I have them all linked right here for you. Check them out: Katie's tags, Stacy's Gift Card Holder, Tosh's Gift Bag Topper, Mindy's Christmas Organizer, Julie's Holiday Treat Box, Christine's Christmas Pom Pom Garland, & Stacey's Altered Gift Tins. Click on the links to create your own homemade Christmas.

If you play along with us during any one of the 12 days and try our project at hand, link up your creation HERE and you’ll be in the running for our Power & Spark 12 Days of Christmas Challenge. That’s right – you’ll have 12 ways to enter. Play along once or try all 12 days for more chances to win a $50 shopping spree to the Power Poppy Shop!

Now, about my creation...

A favorite Christmas tradition in our family is baking lots of Christmas goodies, packaging them up sweetly, and delivering them to all of our neighbors. We've been doing it for 20 years now. The only downside is that it has caught on in our little neighborhood of seven houses, and now we get back 7 times as many goodies as we hand out! Haha! My waistline thanks me for this tradition.

Anyway, I digress... I am always looking for fun & simple packaging ideas, and several years ago I stumbled across a template for making cookie envelopes. Now, I have no idea where I got this template from, as I've had it saved on my computer since I found it. I also edited out the designs on it to give me a blank template that I could decorate myself.


Here's the link to my version of the Cookie Envelope Template. Here's the link to my version of the Cookie Envelope Liner Template. First, I printed out the templates. The templates are quite light; so you will want to choose a cardstock color that is on the lighter side.

The liner was printed on vellum; but you could also use waxed paper, parchment paper, or even thin copy paper. If you use vellum like I did, you'll either need to wait for your ink to dry or heat set it with an embossing tool (which is, of course, what I did).


Since the vellum is transparent, I was able to use my Scor Buddy tool to score the fold lines. Easy peasy!

For the kraft cardstock template, I used a t-square; but you could also use a regular ruler. As you can see in the photo, the template is definitely harder to see on the kraft cardstock. You won't want to go any darker than that.


Next, I cut out the templates and scored the lines. I stamped all over the outside of the kraft template with Color Box opaque white ink and the beautiful swag image from Holly Golightly. Love the understated elegance of white on kraft.

I then flipped the templates over, and placed the liner inside. You could use a bit of no-show adhesive (such as vellum tape) to adhere the liner to the envelope; but I chose not to. It just seemed like an unnecessary step to me.


Here it is with a cookie inside...white chocolate macadamia nut cookie to be exact. Yum!

Okay, the real reason I'm sharing the cookie photo is because I want to give you an idea of the size of the template. The vellum liner is 3-1/4" square inside. Yes, that's also about the size of my cookie. Truth be told, you want your cookies to be 3" or smaller & fairly flat for a nice fit. I made it work, though! (Sure wasn't going to bake a whole new batch of cookies!) You could also put four really small cookies inside, which would be just darling!


I stamped the tag in Memento Tuxedo Black ink on X-Press It Blending Card, colored it with Copic Markers, and stamped the sentiment in red & green inks. I then cut the tag out, and adhered it to the top of the cookie envelope.

Here's a look at the Copic Markers I used.


There are actually a couple of different ways you could close this envelope up. Here's how I closed mine.

I sewed a couple of buttons to two of the flaps, and held them together with red & white striped twine. Super cute, and super easy too!

Another way you could close the envelope is to leave the shorter flaps on the outside, wrap a piece of ribbon or string around the whole thing, and tie it up in a bow.

Finally, if you don't want to mess with sewing buttons, you can just grab a fun piece of washi tape to hold the flaps closed. It really doesn't get any easier than that, does it?

Remember to link up your creation HERE, so that you're entered in this month's 12 Days of Christmas Power & Spark Challenge for a $50 Shopping Spree to the Power Poppy Shop!

Here’s some more inspiration from the
Bloom Brigade today....

Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit today! Be sure to come back tomorrow for Day 9 of the 12 Days of Christmas. Our dear resident Aussie, Kathy Jones, will be showing us how to create a Christmas cracker! So much inspiration and so many chances to win! Merry Christmas to YOU!

May your day be overflowing with great joy, friends!

~Cindy

7 comments:

ionabunny said...

Ha ha, that's fun. I make pig shaped xmas cookies. Hmmmm...... Hugz

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Cindy, what a FUN and really sweet project! I love this gift idea, and thanks for the templates! I may use this for a couple of special friends I have who love Christmas cookies. I know they would be totally tickled to receive such a pretty package and then LOVE the sweetness inside! I love how you've stamped the white for the outside, and the tag is beautiful! Just love this sweet tag and your amazing coloring! Thanks, really sweet friend...hehe! Hugs!

gabriella said...

I absolutely love that Holly Jolly Tag, it is one of the most favorite stamps you have ever made!

Esther Asbury said...

Oh my - this is just the sweetest little gift ever! (smile)
I give a lot of homemade gifts at Christmas time, and love making them extra special with fun packaging! I think I'll save this idea for next year (since I don't have enough time left to do it up for this Christmas!). Thanks for sharing the templates!

Marianne said...

Such a sweet idea. Thanks for the link to the templates.

FD91354 said...

These are so cute! I can see myself making a few of these to share with friends.. Thanks for the templates and How To!

Dr Sonja said...

Very clever wrapping for grand cookies!