Tuesday

Art Imitating Life

Hello sweet peeps! Are you ready to see what creative confetti we throw into the air in the hopes of inspiring YOU in your stamping space? Well, I sure am! This challenge is for those times when you see things in nature that kind of give you pause. Is it a spectacular sunset? A blossom illuminated with light? Or, in my case, a creature that just wears a work of art on it's body each and every day. 

Let's get right to it so that you can see what I mean! 



I was sitting outside not too long ago when I turned my head and spotted this little guy below! Isn't he something else? Look at that iridescent sheen! Trust me, he was even more lovely in real life. Not quite sure what kind of beetle he is -- a jewel beetle perhaps? --  but... he's kind of awesome! I knew he would be the perfect inspiration for a card. :-)


So, after staring at his beauty for a bit to see which stamp set would really work, I settled on this one -- Big Sexy Leaves --  I know. It's perfect, right?

And then, I decided I would make this card a really sweet and simple creation -- something that didn't require a ton of coloring and one that could just "sing" on its own! So, I stamped the leaves, scanned the image and then printed using my laser printer so that I could add a little razzle dazzle in the form of some gold foil! I should mention, I decided to print this image on some dark green card stock -- to bring out its inner beetle!


I also chose the sentiment from this digital stamp set -- Hyacinth Bulb in Glass. I printed this on black card stock so that the sentiment would really pop. See?


It's funny, the foil looks like it is variegated. It isn't. It's just plain old gold foil but because I took the shot outside, You see the sky and my silhouette casting a bit of a shadow so that it looks like a multi-colored foil. Oh, one more note! I die cut my sentiment panel using a stitched die and decided after the fact to layer it over top some mirror gold card stock so that you would see some gold peeking out beneath the little stitched marks created by the die.

To accent, I added some gold cording and some iridescent sequins to bring the beetles shimmer to the forefront of my creation.



And that, my friends, is it! Art imitating a real, live beetle! ;-) So go out with eyes wide open and see those cool things around you. Snap a photo and use it as inspiration to create! I will love seeing not only your cards but the photos as well! And, when you are done, don't forget to link up your creation. There's a $25 gift code on the line folks! One lucky stamper will be chosen at the end of the month -- so keep creating with us each week!



Happy Tuesday & Happy Creating! 

~Julie
Creative Confetti Thrower




4 comments:

Lisa said...

Stunning card, Julie! The colors and the gold foil really pops!

I'll have to put my thinking cap on for this challenge.

Julie Koerber said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with Ms. Lisa! ;-)

Sathya said...

The gold foiling on dark green cs is just gorgeous and the whole card composition is superb!!

Henriƫtte Creatively Happy said...

That a lovely little beetle can inspire to make such an awesome card, how beautiful nature is. Thank you so much for this great tip an showing this awesome card Julie.