Monday

Inspire Me Monday: Experimenting with Color!



Hello Friends,
My name is Kathy Racoosin from The Daily Marker. I am in the middle of a 30-day coloring challenge and for me it's Day 18! If you are curious what the 30 Day coloring challenge is or if you have been watching from the sidelines, now is a good time to jump in and get your feet wet. You can read about The 30 Day Coloring Challenge HERE.


For me the challenge is time to experiment with my coloring and not only try different mediums but, to go out of my comfort zone. One of the great things about the challenge is to bring back the love of coloring and not have that pressure to finish a card. Many times during the course of the challenge, I might color a partial image. My mantra is to find some you time for 10 minutes a day.

With that said, I really went out of my comfort zone for today's post and thought I would share my process with your today.

These are the different phases of this painting! I completed the first one all the way on the left and then my twin sissy came over. I was going to coach her how to make bone broth and my spicy chicken vegetable soup. (I will have a photo recipe at the end)

So while I was instructing her, I started on the second clip in the photo. When I was "finished," she would have this weird expression lol so I would keep on adding color.


I began by stamping this beautiful illustration from Marcella in the Amaryllis Bliss Stamp Set.

After a little masking and another little bit of stamping, I was ready for paint.


Usually, I like to paint a blue background but I wanted to try something different. So, grey was my choice. I used a super thin multi-liner to darken the nooks and crannies. I also outlined the stamen so I wouldn't lose them once I started painting since the ink color is fairly light. 


I thought it would be fun to add some shading before I started adding the color.


Leaving white areas was an effort and purposeful on my part.

This is where the problems began. I should have used different colors on the flowers. Since I got the nose snub from my sissy, I kept on adding color. LOL!


I added an overlay of blue and purple and softened some of the white areas. Should I have stopped sooner? 


Something was still missing for me. Once the added black on top of the grey in the background, the colors popped more and I liked it better. My sister didn't like the background and my husband said maybe it's to much color haha!

The moral of the story is, I did enjoy the process until I added the 4th layer of color. By that time, I was in deep and invested a lot of time but, all in all, it was a great learning experience.




My favorite bloom is the one on the far right with the turquoise and the brown showing through. I would love to hear your honest opinion. Should I have stopped after the second layer? Would you ever consider adding grey or black to the background?

Thanks for letting me share and I hope you enjoy what you are coloring! Now, as promised, my recipe for Chicken Vegetable Soup! Enjoy!



Thanks for stopping by! I hope you join me in the final stretch of the 30 Day Coloring Challenge!

Hugs, 
Kathy 

19 comments:

Marcella Hawley said...

Woman!! You have blown my mind with this post! There is so much wonderfulness in your coloring and stamping and distressing and adding detail -- the artistry is incredible. AND THEN THE SOUP RECIPE!! You're something else. I can't thank you enough, Kathy. xoxo

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Love the image and love what you have done Kathy.
As I told you on your blog my preference is the turquoise one,
If you had stopped there it only needed a touch of "Kathy filling the nooks and crannies". I think in a very dark brown.
Thank you for your post, I am still colouring each day for the challenge and see you tomorrow on your blog or Instagram.

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Let me just say every photo on this post could be a finished coloring project. From the monochromatic to the in depth colors, they are are fantastic! Whose the smarter sister anyway!?😘 and thanks for the soup recipe. Looks yummy. Enchiladas and pasole (chicken) are on the menu here today.

Lagene said...

Well, I agree with Joyce, I thought wach phase could have been a finished project, loved them all!

Debra Dekock said...

Wow, just wow! I love the grey/black background...makes it pop. Love your colors, so glad you didn’t stop!

Karen W said...

I think it's absolutely gorgeous and stunning! I love all the different colors you used and it pops!

Maria A Rodriguez said...

Oh my gosh!! I'm blown away by this amazingly colored image, WOW!! what a wonderful combination of colors and details.
You didn't mention what kind of paper you used but it looks like watercolor paper? can you please tell me what kind? thank you.
And I also made chicken soup yesterday, the only difference with yours is that I cooked an entire chicken and used the broth to make the soup.
On cold and gray days like yesterday, there is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of aromatic and delicious chicken soup 😊
Thank you for sharing.
XO
Maria Rodriguez.

Donna Ellis said...

Well, Miss Kathy, you certainly have caught my attention! WOW! Thank you for sharing your creative process and the experiments with colors. I especially liked how you achieved the dark outlines in the "nooks and crannies". Gorgeousness! And I can smell your soup all the way in Florida! Yum! hugs, de

creatingincolors said...

Are-you-kidding-me?!? Every version is a beautifully finished product and I love them all, but that finished product is something else. I love the colors and the grey and black background. I've got to try the grey/black background, thought will probably take me about 25 tries before it looks anything close to your results. Thanks for sharing all the details. Oh, and that soup looks mighty fine too!

Deborah said...

Kathy. Every coloring project you do is amazing! I love both color combos and the grey- black background. Plus, a soup recipe on top of all that goodness �� You Rock!!

Teresa Doyle said...

WOW Kathy, you truly are the Colouring QUEEN! Each and every stage of this is beautiful, however, I kept going back to look at the image in just Brushed Corduroy and I have to say,it looks amazing JUST LIKE THAT! However, the dark shadowing around the finished piece certainly makes it all pop, so I guess you have completed another winning piece of art!
Your soup looking amazing by the way. Thanks for the recipe!

Katy McGloin said...

Wow! The process is wonderfully showcased and I love each of the flowers. I even love just the subtleness of the undercolor picture. I am fairly new to the blog so I will have to do some exploration of this as well as your own. Thanks for sharing!

ljcasselman said...

I love seeing your process. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I LOVE everything you color, Kathy, and I love your dialog of the process. It feels like you're sitting close by sharing your coloring magic. THANK YOU also for sharing your soup recipe. Rotisserie chicken...great tip!
Your Florida fan,

Lynn Rick

Darlene G said...

Your coloring is beautiful. I like every picture and stage. I think my favorite flowers are the turquoise ones. One question I have is what did you use to paint the ink onto the paper, a water brush? How did you do that?

And thanks for the soup recipe. I also make bone broth but haven't tried some of the veggies you use. I'll have to try these. I can smell it already! lol

Donna Oates said...

❤️❤️❤️ all of it!

Gab said...

Kathy you are so amazing and inspiring! And thanks for the soup recipe!!

KarenAnn said...

Very dramatic coloring...love it! Deserves to be framed as is too pretty to be put in a card that might be discarded.

Lady Bug Stampers said...

Oh my this is so beautiful I love all the color and your process getting there... Yes all the color is wonderful and the dark background takes your eye right to the flowers.... congratulations its wonderful and I personally love it