Friday

12 Days of Christmas - Day 11!

 


Hello Everyone! 

It's the penultimate day of our 12 Days of Christmas here at Power Poppy - DAY 11! Its me Jenny Colacicco and I'm thrilled to be joining you here on the blog today to share some more Christmassy goodness featuring the gorgeous and hilariously punny Season's Greenings stampset.  Ally already shared some beautiful inspiration using this set that comes in both clear and digital versions, (in case you missed it you can check it out here).



I'm going to be watercoloring my card today and have a few behind the scenes process shots to give a little insight to my card creating.  This is a fully one layer card so great for mailing too!




I first stamped my image using a watersoluble ink as I'm doing 'no-line' watercolor -  I want the outline to blend in with my coloring rather than being a stark outline.  I typically use Distress Ink for this.  There are other 'no-line' inks that are also great such as Amalgam from Gina K or Barely Beige from Simon Says Stamp, but Distress seems to be my constant go too. I use a stamp positioner to stamp - particularly when stamping on watercolor cardstock (I'm using Arches hotpress) which is textured -  the positioner lets me stamp a couple of times to get a clear impression.  Im using Old Paper Distress ink. 



When I do no-line watercoloring on small detailed images I like to use small brushes - I'm using a 00 round (and I might go up to a 2 round for larger areas) which helps me control the paint and add my outlines where I want them.   I focus on each 'item' at a time, outlining the image with my brush where there would be shadow,  pulling out the coloring with a damp brush and then building up layers and shading. 



I'm using pan watercolors from Altenew for my watercoloring.  I particularly like to have pans so I can stamp my image, set it on a clipboard and then sit down in front of the TV one evening to color!   Here's a close up of the wreath itself. I just love that little chickadee perched on the top of the wreath.  You'll see I free handed a hanging hook from the wreath up to the top of the panel too.   I wanted to give a sense of an outside door.



I also stamped the bird from the set down at the bottom of the scene as if he was talking to the little guy on the wreath, and shaded in the background and ground loosely to ground the bird and the wreath.  


I flicked white paint over the panel when dry for some snow in the scene.  To finish, I heat embossed the sentiment in Metallic Copper embossing powder (from WOW! Embossing).  It's a little hard to see in the photo but I added a few clear Nuvo Crystal Drops to the berries for a little dimension.



And don't forget...!


ALL DIGITAL STAMPS 20% OFF — NO CODE NEEDED 

and

10% OFF CLEAR STAMPS — USE CODE 12DAYS

- - - - - - - -

Wanna WIN some amazing prizes?  


Be sure to head to the Day 1 post on the Power Poppy Blog, HERE for more details on the 12 Days of Christmas fun and frolics!   Stay tuned for the final day tomorrow and enjoy!  Stay safe and happy holidays everyone!

Jenny 

29 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautifully water colored card, Jenny! Love the details. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa H said...

Love this card! Your no line coloring works really well with this sweet stamp from Power Poppy!

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Gorgeous card Jenny, your watercolouring is awesome and I love how you made this gorgeous stamp hanging on the door.
I choose this card as CASE card because I still need to try no line watercolouirng.
So thank you so much for sharing also the behind the scene photo's that makes it easier to copy. Stay safe and have a wonderful day.

Debbie A Smith said...

I love the sweet scene you have created. I love to watercolor but I am not sure I could paint such tiny details. Go you!

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful wreath and I love those sweet little birds!

AndreaH said...

Thank you, Thank you and Than you again. The amount of times I've tried to find out what no-line colouring is, I've never understood it.....TILL NOW 😍. The way you explained it I got it straight away. Something just clicked. so thank you so much. your card by the way is absolutely STUNNING. X X X

V. K. said...

Love the look of the no-line water-coloring on your card. So detailed and love the little chickadees one of my favorite birds.

cghundley said...

So lovely and
love the design.
Carla from Utah

Ann said...

What a lovely no line scene. The addition of the snow and embossing is just the perfect touch to finish off the card.

Gab said...

This is just gorgeous

Kathy J in Ellicott City said...

What a beautiful project!

Lisa K said...

Beautiful watercoloring. I have Altenew paints and love the colors. Thanks for the inspiration.

Valerija said...

What a wonderful wreath and the watercolouring is fantastic!
Valerija xx

Heather said...

Ooo . . . this is so gorgeous!! The softness of the water coloring looks amazing with this image!

Traci M said...

Such a sweet and delicate garden wreath, and your details are amazing!! I have so enjoyed following the Twelve Days of Christmas!

Tina Z. said...

stunning wreath!!

Camille Short said...

Wow, this card is so awesome! I love the stamp you used on it! That background is so awesome! I so wish that I could color like you do!!! Fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing how you made this lovely cards

GothBarbie said...

Beautiful card! I would totally CASE the technique of stamping with a lighter color then painting to fill the image. Gives a really nice soft effect!

Nicola Gold said...

OH my this is beautiful. Looks just like a crisp winter's day

Maryann scrapbooking said...

Magnifique création.
MaryannG

Carolyn L said...

What a happily colored wreath! Thank you so much for the step-by-step on the no-line technique....I definitely must try again!

Dracowin said...

Wow! That wreath just jumped off the screen. I love your choice of colors. This would be an excellent card for a gardener friend of mine.

Sue said...

What a great wreath for our gardener. Beautifully colored

LOU said...

Beautiful card Jenny. Love the softness of your colouring.
Just received some watercolours, so will have to start using them!

Denise Bryant said...

Lovely coloring of this beautiful wreath design!

kReN said...

Love the step by step tut. Super! kReN@afourthlife

Keen Crafter's Hand Made Goodies said...

Stunning

Barb said...

So beautiful, Jenny! Your watercoloring is so delicate and pretty! You make me want to pull out my paints!